Govee LED Strip Light M1 review: At a glance
- What is it? The Govee LED Strip Light M1 is an upgrade of existing Govee lightstrips that makes it the company’s first product with universal pairing via Matter. It works equally well with Amazon Alexa, Apple HomeKit, or Google Home, or you can simply rely on the Govee Home app.
- What is the price? Govee lists a 5m/16.4ft version of the LED Strip Light M1 for $99.99 in the US, £119.99 in the UK, and €119.99 in continental Europe, but frequently offers substantial discounts. If you can find them, smaller kits should be cheaper.
- Where can you buy it? You can buy the Govee LED Strip Light M1 direct from Govee, and through various third-party retailers like Amazon.
- How did we test it? I tested a shorter, 2m/6.56ft version of the Govee LED Strip Light M1 for one week, paired with Alexa, HomeKit, and Google Home. The review unit was supplied by Govee.
- Is it worth it? The Govee LED Strip Light M1 is a bright and attractive lightstrip that pairs with all three major smart home platforms, but beyond Matter support and some Govee Home features, there’s nothing special and you may encounter technical issues. That said, it’ll do the job if you can find it at an acceptable price.
Govee LED Strip Light M1 (16.4ft)
$99.99 at Amazon
Should you buy the Govee LED Strip Light M1?
Credit: Roger Fingas / Android Authority
Although the Matter 1.0 spec first launched in late 2022, compatible smart home accessories have been slow to roll out. That’s especially true with lightstrips — in fact, the only other Matter-compatible strip on the market as of the M1’s launch is Nanoleaf’s Essential Matter model. That product also requires a Thread border router, so Govee’s Wi-Fi-based strip is a big deal.