Pocket Casts has been updated to version 5.3 on the Play Store, and it’s actually a pretty sizable update. There are several interface tweaks, some support for voice control, automatic backup, and, best of all, the app has been updated for Marshmallow’s new permission system.
In the interface, you’ll be able to filter podcasts by how long ago they’ve been released, such as within the past 24 hours, past week, and so on. The search section of the app has been updated, and there are a handful of new animations sprinkled throughout. You’ll also be able to use commands after “OK Google” to listen to certain podcasts or playlists.
Pocket Casts now supports Marshmallow’s revamped permission system, and only asks for the storage permission when you attempt to change the location of where your podcasts are locally stored.
You can find the full changelog and download link for version 5.3 below.
- You can now filter episodes by time. In the filter settings page there is a new option called “Released in the last” which you can set to 24 hours, 3 days, 1 week etc. We have changed the episode filters new users will have and this update will also add them to your list of filters.
- Marshmallow Auto Backup feature added so if you have app backups turned on (System Settings app -> Backup & reset) it will backup your Pocket Casts settings and database so after restoring a phone your app should look a lot more like it did.
- Switched to Marshmallow permissions. We now only have one permission that requires user approval, the storage permission. The app will only ask for permission for this if you change your storage location to a custom folder.
- Stats page data is now included in your sync account so if you reinstall they aren’t lost. The stats page is now a summary of stats across all your devices.
- Improved switching to a custom location so it picks up any existing episode files in the new location.
- Improved the search for podcast interface.
- Improved voice control. Give these a try after you have said “OK Google”
“Listen to PODCAST NAME in Pocket Casts”
“Listen to PLAYLIST NAME in Pocket Casts”
“Listen to Up Next in Pocket Casts”
- New discover Nearby animation.
- Added a message for the podcast grid if you don’t have any podcasts.
- Faster podcast unsubscribe.
- Fixed issues with video player in landscape.
- Fixed mailto linking in show notes so it opens your mail client with all the fields populated.
- Fixed sync issue with very old starred episodes.
- Fixed the episode time left not updating in the list when returning to the app
- Emojis are now supporting in the show notes and episode titles.
- Lots of little fixes
Play Store Download Link
Come comment on this article: Pocket Casts updated to version 5.3, including tweaks to permissions and voice control
Visit TalkAndroid for Android news, Android guides, and much more!