Being involved in a truck accident is not only stressful personally, but it can also become a work-related incident if you are a truck driver for a company or if you were involved in an accident with a trucking company. Understanding why it is advisable to hire a California truck accident attorney is essential regardless of who is at fault for the accident. With the best personal injury lawyer by your side, create a case to protect yourself and your family from financial and legal responsibility.
Why Hiring a Lawyer After an Auto Accident is Essential
Hiring an attorney anytime you have been involved in an auto accident is a must, even if you are not at fault for the accident itself. Some of the steps to take before reaching out to an attorney after you have been in an accident (and you are not seriously injured or require medical attention) include:
- Check Other Parties: Be sure to check on the health and safety of all other parties involved, including those who may be trapped or stuck in a vehicle involved in the accident.
- Insurance: Exchange insurance information with any party who was also involved in the accident, regardless of who is at fault.
- Police Report: Immediately call the police to file a report and to request an officer to arrive on the scene of the accident itself. Exchange information and details of the accident with the police officer while ensuring the incident is recorded and tracked.
- Evidence: Gather as much evidence as possible if you are able to once you have calmed after being involved in a truck accident. Take photographs and video if possible to help attorneys and judges assess the damage and your surroundings. If it is possible, inquire about collecting witness statements as well as local security camera footage if necessary. While requesting and collecting security footage does not have to be done immediately following an accident, it should be done as quickly as possible. In most cases, it is best to consult with your chosen truck accident attorney before pursuing additional evidence that may help your case.
- Contact Your Employer: This step only applies to you if you are the truck driver who was involved in an auto accident. Contacting your company or boss immediately is essential to avoid additional issues or legal troubles that may leave you completely responsible legally and financially. Speak directly to your company about the course of action that is best to take while sharing the details of your accident, even if you are at fault for causing the accident. Your company will likely guide you through the process to ensure that you do not cost the company more when it comes to legal and financial fees.
- Hire an Attorney: Consulting with and retaining a personal injury lawyer who has experience and specializes in the trucking industry is imperative after you have been involved in a trucking accident yourself.
Why Hire a Truck Accident Lawyer?
It is possible to hire just about any personal injury lawyer you are interested in retaining after being involved in an auto accident. However, it is recommended to hire a truck accident lawyer who specializes in understanding the industry and working with any laws, rules, and regulations that may be in place. Not only is it advisable to work with a truck accident lawyer due to their own experience in the field, but it can help if the accident you were involved in also involved a trucking company that is notorious for filing lawsuits or not paying victims who were involved in accidents in the past.
Regulations and Laws in the Trucking Industry
Compared to standard automobile accidents, there may be additional paperwork, reports, and regulations involved when filing a police report or pursuing legal representation whenever a truck is involved. The trucking industry’s laws and regulations are much more complex and robust than traditional civilian motor vehicles. Working together with a California truck accident attorney is a way to ensure that you are abiding by any laws, rules, and regulations for truck accidents while building your case.
The best personal injury lawyer will also have a complete understanding of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA before taking on a new client or proposing a plan of action for your case. When meeting with prospective attorneys that you are interested in hiring, be sure to ask the following questions:
- What is your experience in the trucking industry? How many clients have you represented who have been involved in truck-related incidents?
- How do you intend to approach my case, regardless of whether or not I am at fault? Will I be held liable for the damages and injuries sustained, or are you intending to take a different route? If so, what is the route?
- What is your track record like when it comes to trucking accidents?
- Do you have a plan of action in mind for my case? How can I improve the odds of my case being ruled in my favor?
- How long will it take to get my case to court and to receive a ruling, regardless of the outcome?
Expedite Your Case
If you are working with an attorney who is not only experienced, but well-versed in the trucking industry and those involved, it is much easier to expedite your case. When you choose to represent yourself, you will not likely have immediate access to filing solutions or the ability to communicate with other lawyers, judges, and parties involved with your case without serious effort. Oftentimes, an experienced and professional truck accident attorney will have connections with other lawyers, judges, and parties who have worked in the industry in the past. If you are seeking peace of mind while building your case and going to court, it is best to do so with a trucking attorney that you can truly trust and rely on.
Whenever a trucking company is involved in an accident, the company’s team of lawyers will likely represent the driver of the truck, regardless of who is at fault. When you choose to represent yourself legally in a court of law, you may find yourself overwhelmed or pressured to take deals that do not result in the financial assistance you require, especially if you have been seriously injured in the auto accident. Working together with a truck accident lawyer is not only a way to gain valuable insight into the inner workings of your case and the other parties involved, but it can help with negotiations. If your attorney is not satisfied with what opposing parties are offering you, they are experienced enough to draft additional options and to negotiate a better deal.
While being involved in any type of auto accident is never easy or positive, it is possible to remain optimistic about your case with the right personal truck injury lawyer by your side. With an attorney who is experienced in the trucking industry and with automobile accidents, gain peace of mind while remaining confident as you move forward in any direction you choose for your case.