Today is the final day of CES 2019 in Las Vegas, where thousands of companies showed off their latest connected tech products. As usual, Apple did not have an official presence on the show floor, but there were several announcements and a wide variety of product unveilings that are tied to its ecosystem.
MacRumors attended CES 2019 and has shared numerous articles and videos on our YouTube channel about the show throughout the week. We’ve wrapped up some of the notable announcements from the week below.
AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs
Without attending, Apple stole some of CES 2019’s thunder by announcing this week that AirPlay 2-enabled smart TVs are coming from leading manufacturers, including Samsung, LG, Sony, and Vizio. Meanwhile, up-and-coming Chinese smart TV brand TCL told MacRumors it is “currently committed to Roku.”
Smart TVs from LG, Sony, and Vizio, but not Samsung, will also support HomeKit. Samsung smart TVs are, however, getting an exclusive iTunes TV and Movies app for accessing purchased and rented content from Apple’s storefront.
AirPlay 2 is also coming to Harman Kardon’s new Citation Series of speakers and the popular VLC streaming app for Android.
Mophie battery cases for iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR
Apple-certified accessory maker Mophie will be releasing Juice Pack Access battery cases for the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR for $119.95 each in the first quarter of 2019. The juice packs extend the battery life of the iPhone XS by up to 25 hours, and the iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR by up to 31 hours.
Unlike Apple’s older Smart Battery Cases for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 7, the Juice Packs charge the iPhone wirelessly via the Qi standard, leaving the Lightning connector free for accessories and other uses. Apple is rumored to release a new Smart Battery Case for the iPhone XS, but has yet to do so.
Numerous smart home accessories were unveiled at CES 2019 with HomeKit compatibility either at launch or promised later this year:
- Door Locks and Doorbells: Netatmo Smart Video Doorbell, Robin Telecom ProLine Doorbell, Kwikset Premis Contemporary and Mighton Avia
- Lights and Switches: Nanoleaf Hexagon Light Panels, Eve Light Strip and Eve Energy Strip, Philips Hue outdoor lighting range, C by GE lights, Belkin Wemo switches, and Brilliant Control switches
- Miscellaneous: Arlo Ultra 4K security camera, Gardena Smart System gardening range, U by Moen smart shower system, TP-Link Kasa smart plug, Honeywell Home T9 and T10 Pro smart thermostats, IKEA Kadrilj and Fyrtur smart blinds, and First Alert’s second-generation Safe & Sound all-in-one smoke and carbon monoxide detector and speaker
Apple-certified Lightning to USB-C cables
Last month, Apple informed members of its Made for iPhone program that third-party Lightning to USB-C cables are now permitted to be manufactured, and CES 2019 saw the introduction of the first options from Belkin and Griffin. The cables will be available from both accessory makers in the spring.
CarPlay is now factory installed in well over 400 vehicle models, but some makes and models along with older vehicles do not support Apple’s in-car software platform. For this, there are aftermarket CarPlay receivers, and we saw new wired and wireless options debut from Kenwood and JVC, Sony, and Alpine at CES 2019.
Pioneer also unveiled its latest receiver that turns an iPhone or Android smartphone into a car entertainment display.
Docks, chargers, and cases
- Elgato unveiled its Thunderbolt 3 Pro Dock with two USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one DisplayPort 1.2, one Gigabit Ethernet port, a 3.5mm audio output, and SD and microSD card readers.
- Anker announced that its PowerPort Atom PD 1 power adapter, which it calls “the world’s smallest Power Delivery wall charger,” will be available to order later this month. Priced at $29.99 in the United States.
- Satechi released two new power adapters with combo USB-C and USB-A ports.
- ZAGG unveiled a new line of keyboards for the latest iPad and iPad Pro models.
- OtterBox announced a partnership with PopSockets for a new series of “Otter + Pop” cases for iPhones
Videos: Best of CES 2019 and its Unveiled, Pepcom, and ShowStoppers events
For additional announcements and coverage, check out our CES 2019 news hub.
Tag: CES 2019
This article, “CES 2019 Wrap-Up: AirPlay 2 TVs, Battery Cases for Latest iPhones, Third-Party Lightning to USB-C Cables, and More” first appeared on MacRumors.com
Discuss this article in our forums